Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Thursday 5 March 2009

Priorities

I always find it interesting to find out what people do with their spare time. So many people claim to find various things important, yet they give little or no time over to it. I find this a lot, mostly because I read so much. I read around a book a day, though depending on what I'm reading I may read more or less. Most weeks I read between five and ten books.

Whenever people find this out they immediately say, "I wish I could read that much, but I'm just so busy, I don't have time."

Ah ha. Sure you don't.

Everyone has 24 hours in their day. These people have as much time as I do. They choose to do something different.

Interestingly, it's rarely people who I'd say were actually busy who say that. People with several children rarely say things like that. People who work two jobs never say things like that to me.

I find a lot of people who "don't have time" for books have plenty of time for aggressive computer games. They have seen all the most recent movies (including ones with dubious themes) and they see all of the hip TV shows. They'll go out every Friday night and Saturday night.

Now, TV and movies are not usually bad in and of themselves, at least not in small amounts, and there isn't anything wrong with meeting up with friends at any time, Friday night or otherwise. It's the fact that people will fritter their time away on these things. They will throw their time away on things that not only fail to really build themselves up, but frequently tear themselves down.

A wise woman builds her house, but a foolish tears it down with her own hands. (Proverbs 14:1) This applies to men too in many ways, but especially to women who are in command over a home. We all need to be doing things that build us up, that encourage us to grow in faith and knowledge of Christ. That means 'sacrificing' things we may like, such as some movies, TV, and computer games for things that are better for us, such as uplifting books, deep thoughts, and most importantly, the Word of God.

No comments: