Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Saturday 30 May 2009

A week of goodness

I have ten days of sleep-in! Nine now, I suppose, given I just slept in. I swapped shifts with one of my co-workers, meaning I am working only half days, from 11-3. Sleep in, home early. Lovely!

Me being me, I have a list of things I want to do for the week. I think I've gone slightly overboard.

- Read Cancer Ward
- Read The Rights of Man
- Read Requiem for a Nun
- Read The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat
- Read Ring of Bright Water
- Read Revolutions in Worldview
- Read The Feast of July

I'm also hoping to get through several art books, a few cook books, to snd a fair amount of time reading the Bible, and listen to all the audio sermons I have building up on my computer. Over 40 I haven't listened to.

I also hope to cook, to tidy through the house, run a few dozen errands, and clean. And blog about the books. They're a wide range, and I probably won't keep serveral of them - I don't know how I'm going to like Feast of July - it's by H.E. Bates, whose writing I love but whose themes I detest. I picked more 'heavier' books than I normally would, because I have so much more time. It'll be interesting.

On to my reading!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh my goodness - how are you going to find time to read ALL that~!!

Sam-Is-Mad said...

Well, so far I'm not - I've read 1/5 of Revolutions in Worldview, but none of the others. I did however read A Short History of English Literature, which at 230 pages, wasn't all that short.

But I have about 2 hours of reading time on public transport every day, which quickly adds up. But I don't think I'm quite going to make it. Oh well... there is next week.