Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Monday 1 March 2010

Ecclesiastes 3:11

I've had lots of blog posts in my head recently, but I haven't really had enough energy to transfer them from my head to my blog.

It hasn't been helped in that recently I've been feeling very ugly. It sounds so vain to put it so, but it's true. I've been feeling like I'm just plain ugly. It doesn't help that I see everyone around me pairing up, entering into the halls of coupledom, and I am so horrifically single, with nary an admirer in sight.

And then one of my friends went and made a joking comment about me being fat. I know I'm not (and probably never will be), but still, it rankled.

So I'm sitting around, all mopey, brooding on my lack of beauty. And it's not as though I have all this inner beauty to console anyone with. Nope, I'm mean, selfish, and prideful. I'm more than slightly aggressive. I definitely lack the quatlities of true beauty, such as a gentle and quiet spirit (1 Peter 3:4). Heck, I know non-Christians who are more gentle in spirit than me. (That would be because I am one of the most ungentle people I know.)

So I'm double-mopey, because not only am I not beautiful to look at I'm really not beautiful in spirit and thinking about being not beautiful in any way, shape, or form (ha-ha) is, quite frankly, more than slightly depressing.

And then God spoke to me, saying, "I make everything beautiful in its own time."

Everything includes me. In spite of my pride, it really does include me. God will make me beautiful, truly beautiful, in time, in His own time. True, for me it'll probably be a mili-second off of eternity (is that even a time?), but it WILL happen. God has promised that!

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

No comments: