Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Friday 10 June 2011

What Are You Preparing For?

I often surprise people. One of the ways is that I don't have my wedding planned out. I don't really have a dress planned. I don't know whether I want a church wedding or a garden wedding. All I know is that I don't want lots of people and I do want to be able to eat the food.

This surprises people because there are few things I want more than to get married (and have kids). Yet I don't have any wedding dreams.

You see, I don't want to have a wedding. I want to be married.

So many people prepare for their wedding. They plan out every extravagant detail - the dress, the food, the guest list, the flowers, the bridesmaid's dresses... there are so many details that they have planned. And then the honeymoon! Where to go? How long?

But they haven't worked out who will take out the trash.

The thing is, so many marriages run into issues because they haven't prepared for their marriage. They have no idea of their roles, what they other person wants and expects, or even where their marriage is headed. And so, too often, it's headed for the rocks.

I don't care about a day. It's one day. Sure, it'll be nice if it's beautiful and memorable and I can tell the children about it (in a good way) for years to come. But the important thing is the years after it.

That's what I'm preparing for.

(And I'm still unattatched, in case you all are thinking otherwise! Just pondering.)

No comments: