Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Monday 19 September 2011

Acts 20

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received for the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (verse 23)

Paul did not shrink from the possibility of martyrdom. He knew that that was what Jesus had ordained for him. His one desire was to glorify God in each small act. That he would be willing to lay his life down every day in countless small ways, until the day when he would be asked to give up his life to the glory of God.

What a contrast for us now days – me especially! I shrink from even those small daily acts of surrender that glorify God, like speaking sweetly, or offering to do something extra to help someone out, or keeping patient even when those around me are testing my patience to breaking point.

We prepare for martyrdom in the little things – the little self-sacrifices that no one but us and Jesus notice. We need to embrace them as Jesus embraced His cross; to run towards them as Paul ran towards his martyrdom. A seed needs to be willing to die in order to bring forth new life. We need to be willing to die, too, and die every day, in order to bring forth a harvest of souls that will praise God for all eternity.

No comments: