Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Thursday 18 April 2013

Travelling Home: Saturday 30.06.2012, and Sun 01.07.2012


We got to the airport with no trouble – in fact getting there at 10AM rather than the 10:30AM we were aiming for – leaving me with a very long wait at the airport. But we boarded, and that was fine.
They announced my allergies – listing almost all of them, though I told them that they only needed to worry about dairy and gluten. I got a spare seat next to me again, which was nice. The flight went smoothly.

I wish I could say the same thing about the airport. I ordered a soy hot chocolate from the café. They didn’t wash the stirring utensils. I told them that they really needed to have separate ones because anaphylactics will die or sue. I drank my HC anyway and went on the internet. 15 minutes after that, I left the internet café and staggered a bit of the way to the bathroom before having to sit down. A staff member of the airport asked me if I was all right. I said no, I was having an allergic reaction. They got me a wheelchair and wheeled me to the medical clinic, where they gave me meds. They helped, but not completely, as it was too late for some of the symptoms. I them got wheeled to the first class / business class lounge so I could rest, though it is very unrestful battling an allergic reaction with a bunch of rich people watching you.


I slowly recovered, and wheeled myself over to the internet inside the 1stclass lounge, and looked at my emails. Found out that my lift was not going to be picking me up, and that they would reimburse me for the cab fare… which I don’t have. Exactly the news you want to hear when you’re in a wheelchair. I’ll have to catch the sky bus, then a train, then walk 20 minutes with my luggage. I am obviously unimpressed. (Edited to add that I sent a scathing email to said lift, informing them that I was in a wheelchair, and they were able to arrange a lift.)

I got wheeled to the boarding gate, checked in, then wheeled to the assisted mobility entrance, and wheeled onto a lift to take me up the stairs. I then had to walk to my seat. I was a little unsteady, but managed okay, and was fully seated before everyone else came on.

Then the fun began. We wanted over an hour with everyone on board before taking off. They announced I was allergic to nuts (one of the few things I’m NOT allergic to). The staff gave me normal bread (which I saw) and they confirmed that it was normal bread – which I can’t even touch without scrubbing my hands afterwards. And given my recent reaction I was extra cautious – and extra cross. It meant that the whole meal was potentially contaminated – so I missed that meal. At least I didn’t really want it, because I was still feeling so sick.
Next was my snacks. Someone decided that it would be really nice if they spread my snacks with cream cheese – was that okay? My reply was only if you think me dying during the flight is okay. As they had already done it – no snack. I did get a dinner though, thankfully, because that would make over 16 hours without food, with the meals previous to that being vomited out of my system. (For medical reasons, I am not supposed to skip meals.)
Fortunately, my baggage is MUCH lighter going home – 19 kg lighter (exactly) in total. It would have been lighter but the bag they gave me as a present is pretty heavy. I am very thankful for that.

No comments: