Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Wednesday 14 July 2010

There Is a Reason

I was recently reading through a lot of old blog posts at my not at all serious blog, Sam-Is-Mad. One of them really caught my attention. It was when I was working with the 4 year olds. Often I would get them to do things, and they would turn around and ask me, "Why?"

So I would look straight at them and say, "Because I am a meanie."

"You're not a meanie Sam," they would say. "You're the best!"

"Then I have a reason, which I'm not telling you right now. And I expect you to obey."

And they would.

Our relationship with God is a bit like that at times. We want to know why things aren't going the way we want them to, why we have to do xyz, why it's always us who is sick, broke, [insert problem here].

The thing is, God is good. And He has a reason. He just doesn't always share the reason with us, sometimes because we wouldn't understand it, or because we won't like it, or just because we need to work on obedience. But because God is good, there is always a reason. And the reason is always the right one.

And we need to go off an be obedient to Him, our heavenly Father, who knows all things and works them for our good.

1 comment:

Brad said...

"The thing is, God is good. And He has a reason. He just doesn't always share the reason with us, sometimes because we wouldn't understand it, or because we won't like it, or just because we need to work on obedience. But because God is good, there is always a reason. And the reason is always the right one."

Amen! Very nice insight.

Brad