Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Romans 1:32

Though they know God’s decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practise them.

This passage really struck me. The thing is, most Christians don’t do most of the “big” sins. Infamous cases aside, most Christians aren’t involved in homosexual activity, outright murder, or adultery. But it isn’t enough. Because a whole lot of us turn a complete blind eye to those who do.

For example, many of my friends and work colleges are non-Christian. Lots of them are having pre-marital relationships. I don’t blink an eye, let alone say anything to them. Some of my friends are gay or have family members who are. Again, I don’t typically say anything, because they are my friends and I don’t want to upset any of them. A work colleague is planning to get pregnant out of wedlock, and preferably out of relationship because that way she can raise the baby any way she wants. All I did was point out that being in a married relationship provides a lot more stability for the child, and demonstrates a higher degree of commitment from the male, which isn’t really what she’s interested in anyway.

Basically, I’m approving of all of these behaviours. I may not be the one doing them, but I’m passively encouraging others in them. These are things that they will one day regret, either after they come to Christ or in hell for all eternity. And I’m encouraging them to keep on, just from keeping my mouth shut and not bothering to let them know that the standard they are following is less than God’s best.

As Christians, we need to approve of things that bring ourselves and others closer to Him, and not anything that pulls us or others away.

No comments: