Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Monday 3 October 2011

No Place Safer

Most people who know me know that I’m going to Uganda in November, to work in a school that has lots of HIV orphans. It’s funny at times to listen to the reactions of some people. I’ve had people go on for 10 minutes about how brave, noble, and self-sacrificing I am. (I responded with, “You’re joking right? I mean, this is me.”)

But I’ve also had some interesting reactions from two other people – Sonia (from work) and my Mum. It’s more or less the same response, just phrased differently. It’s the idea that Uganda is not safe. My Mum phrased her statement as: “You’re going to get raped, get AIDS, and die!” (My response: “All in 3 weeks?”)

But the thing is, to be doing God’s will is the safest thing you can be doing. I mean, sure, you can be tortured and die (not something I’d be thrilled about if it faced me), but spiritually speaking, doing God’s work is the safest thing we can possibly do.

In the end, there is no place safer than His hands.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

No comments: