Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Friday 14 October 2011

The Sheep of His Pasture

A while ago I was at a church prayer meeting, and I had this vision. Now, in spite of attending a Pentecostal church, I don’t go around getting visions that often. But this particular occasion, I did.

I saw a flock of sheep grazing peacefully. A wolf sidled up to one of them, and was about to attack. So the sheep bared its teeth at the wolf like a dog. And the wolf nearly fell over laughing. Even I had to struggle to contain myself. I mean, it was FUNNY. This sheep thought it could protect itself just by baring its teeth. And it didn’t look threatening at all, just incongruous.

God pointed out to me that this is often the way that I behave. I think I can protect myself. And aside from maybe making the enemy laugh to death at my feeble attempts, I’m pretty useless. I need the good shepherd. I can’t defend myself.

We are the sheep of His pasture (see Ps 100). And as His sheep, He will protect us. We don’t need to be attempting some ridiculous attempt to save ourselves – it will just fail. At best, it will be sadly funny. But His protection is complete We can never be taken out of the palm of His hand.

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39

No comments: