Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Friday 30 December 2011

Reflection On 2011 Goals

1. Go on an overseas mission trip, preferably to Uganda
I did this! I'm so excited that I was able to begin serving God overseas! For those who are interested, I'm slowly posting my diary of my time in Uganda at the Hope Waverley Mission Blog.

2. Memorise 20 more psalms.
(I'm at 23 now, so I want to be at 43 by the end of next year!)
I'm nowhere near 43 psalms! I'm at 25 - which means only 2 psalms were memorised this year. And while I did some work on other passages, memorisation of the Bible just plain did not happen this year. It's something that I'm going to be working on next year.

3. Read Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Bible.
Still in Genesis

4. Develop my prayer life
Specifically, I want to see LOTS of answers to prayers, and to become closer and closer to God. Praying continually would be great too!
I've made progress in this area. While there are seasons of greater initmacy and of lesser intimacy with God, on the whole this is improving. And yes, I got answers to prayer!

5. To speak words of encouragement and not mean words, impure words, or gossip.
6. To be joyful always, in all circumstances.

Both of these are ungoing works that God is doing in my heart. I'm still a grumpy cow far too often, but I'm so much better than what I used to be! To God alone goes the glory - believe me, I'm not working the change myself!

7. To instruct and admonish children using Scripture and not the philosophy of men.
I've improved with instructing using Biblical principles, but actual words of Scripture is not so much what is coming from my mouth.

8. To consistently practice both the harp and the piano.
Just plain didn't happen.

No comments: