Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Bible in 40 Days

Most people think that you need to read the Bible in little pieces, a chapter or a verse here and there. This is good, if you do it regularly (as in every day), but it takes time. If you read only a chapter a day it will take you three years to read the whole Bible. In that time, you will have forgotten a lot of the details from the first bit of your reading.

You can read the Bible in less time than that! There are quite a few programs where you can read the Bible in a relatively short space of time. For Easter a few years ago, I made my own. Here it is.

40 days before Easter, I began reading the Bible. I read it in place of my usual books as well as for my Quiet Time. I read it as much as I could. Some days that was a lot of reading, some days it was less. By the end of the 40 days, I was in Hebrews. I finished a few days after Easter.

I really recommend that everyone do this on occasion. I was amazed at the things I picked up – similarities from the psalms to Isaiah and the other prophets stood out to me especially in that lot of reading. God’s plan for the nations and the poor also began to stand out to me at that reading.

Will you miss things? Yes, of course. But you will pick things up too! No matter what plan you have for reading or studying the Bible you will end up missing things. But you will pick more up the next time you read it, or the time after that. And God will make it all plain in heaven!

So sit down, pray for His Holy Spirit, and start reading!

This year, I am aiming to read the entire Bible during Lent (which starts tomorrow, on the 22nd of Feb!). Want to do this with me? I'll be sharing some of the things God teaches me!

No comments: