Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Monday 25 February 2013

06.11.11 - Journey to COME Uganda

For those who aren’t aware, I was staying and working at an organisation called COME Uganda.

Well, someone ‘borrowed’ by pen. Given I’ve left the airport, I don’t think I’m getting it back. It’s absolutely cracking me up.




I spent the time in the line being chatted up by a middle-aged Iranian. He pretended he knew me from Moscow (I’ve never been!) He supposedly ‘wants people to join him in his business’, and invited me to stop by his hotel anytime. I don’t think so. I thought, I’m not that young, and I’m definitely not that stupid.


I left the airport, and the driver, Patrick, was there to pick me up. He has 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls. He’s really nice, and has told me how friendly everyone here is. There is a bit of a rivalry with Kenya – kind of a Sydney / Melbourne rivalry.



There are people everywhere on boda-bodas, their motorbikes, and animals on the streets like its their backyard. Big fat chickens and lean cows, even some goats.


There is an African child conference on! People were being picked up for it at the airport. I saw people for World Vision and etc there.

There are schools, childcares, and churches everywhere, and the smells of fruit and meat cooking, and it seems like its washday, with clothes everywhere, even in bushes and spread out over the grass to dry. And some things are universal, with Patrick lowering his phone as we drove past a police van.

The houses vary immensely, from ones that would seem slightly small and run down in Australia, to shacks that we wouldn’t keep animals in. In front of virtually every house is a stall of some kind.

I arrived at COME Uganda, and found that most people were away, including anyone I’d talked to or heard of. A family who are on a mission trip here for 5 months were here, and they helped me find my way around. They are Britt, Andrew, and their two daughters, Amaya (5) and Abbie (3). Britt showed me all the things, then I unpacked (I have my own room - luxury). We ate dinner together, which I could eat, being GF, and then they let me use their internet to email my family and Kal & Step to let them know I’ve arrived safely.


It’s only 8PM Ugandan time, but I am knackered. I am going to read my Bible and then go to sleep.

No comments: