Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Tuesday 26 February 2013

07.11.11 My First Full Day in Uganda

I woke at 3, but was able to go back to sleep, and rewoke to my alarm at 6:45. So I’m more or less on the right time zone, though I’m feeling a little tired.


I did my quiet time, then ate breakfast. All the cereals etc are not GF, so I had a banana and 2 GF/CF cookies with a cup of tea and my malaria pill. Then I did some reading before Lisa (the education officer here) came and got me for the Baby School (kinder/prep age).

One of the teachers in the Baby Class (kinder) had not shown up for work that day, so I was there the entire day. Things are a bit different – it is more structured than education in Australia. It is also in a mix of Luganda and English. Primary school onwards are just in English, but for the little ones, it is their first year in English instruction. I’ve taught ESLs before, including ones who were not used to being in classes or schools, but I’ve never taught in a class of ESLs. So it was an experience. The children all crowd around me, and a few have been slightly amazed at my paleness – holding their arms to mine in amazement. Which isn’t really that surprising, given how much paler I am than even most Australians.

We had a cup of porridge for snack. It was made from maize (corn) so I had some. It was sweet, and quite nice. It certainly beats the rice porridge that a few of church people have given me! The we had a play outside, playing skipping and with balls. I learnt how to say “my turn” in Luganda, but I’ve forgotten it already. Then we went back inside and continued study.

When back in class, I was go through individual work with the children, and then when I was helping a girl called Rose, she just started bobbing, then began to wee. I told her to go to the toilet, and she ran, leaving a trail of wee. She was back a few minutes later, and we continued where we left off. The teacher, Alice, thought it was one of the funniest things! I told her I’ve had worse – which is true! I’ve had children wee on me at work before!


The Baby School finishes at 12, so I came back to the visitors dorm and am recording a few thoughts before lunch. So far, my schedule seems to be:

8AM- 8:30AM – Devotions

8:30-9:45 – Baby School

9:45-10:30 – Break

10:30-12:00 – Baby School

12-2 – My lunch break

2-4 – Primary school

Other than that, I think my time is all free, which wasn’t what I was expecting! I’ve already read two of my four books (on the plane) and am a third of the way through the third. Hopefully I will be able to use some of my spare time to explore.


Anyway, I’m off to have some lunch, before Primary School starts.
***
Primary school was fun. I helped Amina with what in Australia would be termed Reading Recovery. It was very much like in Australia.
On the walk back I got beeped at a lot. I had thought people were beeping at me, and now I’m certain. A few people pointed or said “Mzungu” (which means white person). Amina walked me back, and she pointed out that Aussies walk very fast, while Ugandans stroll along very slowly. The funny thing is, to many people overseas, Aussies walk slowly!

I was planning on going for a walk after work, but ended up talking with Lisa, Britt and Andrew. Which is probably good, because I don’t have any local money, just $US. I need to change at least some of my money.

I’ve started a notebook of Lugandan words, which I hope to add to over my stay. So far I have 7 words – not exactly great conversation material! And given that I knew 3 of them before I came, I’m not doing so great one the language front.

A not on health: Brilliant! I haven’t had an asthma attack since arriving in Uganda. No signs of tummy bugs, or anything else, and I haven’t been bitten once by a mozzie. God be praised for answering the prayers of His people in regards to my health over here!


Anyway, goodnight for now!

No comments: