Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Wednesday 25 August 2010

I Don't Like Waiting

It's kind of funny. Most people who want to adopt don't because they can't afford the adoption fees (sometimes referred to as the "ransome"), and most people aren't willing to get a loan of that size for a child. (A car yes, a house yes, but a child - no. Don't get me started on that one.)

Ironically, I'm not in that position. I'm in the reverse.

I have my own personal savings, which while they wouldn't cover a whole adoption, would certainly be enough to get the ball rolling, and by the time it was all done, I would almost certainly have paid it off.

The thing is, I'd never pass a home study. Not at the moment.

I'm single (which isn't actually impossible, but does make things harder), working part time as a child care worker (not with the big bucks), with no home of my own who shares a house (with the awesome Kallie, but still), and who moves every year or so. I have an extended family who don't like adoption. My health is not good, and I'm already excluded from a few countries because of past health histories.

It's hard waiting. It's harder waiting when it probably isn't going to change. I'm not going to work full time (because then my health would be shattered), I'm not planning on changing jobs, and I'm not likely to be moving out of the singles market any time soon.

Still, it is the position God has placed me in. And I've been able to do a lot of good where I am now. I've shared the gospel with a few people; I've been able to sponsor more children than the average husband would give the okay for. I've been able to donate small amounts to other people's adoptions, allowing them to bring home their children.

So while He has work for me here, I will do it, and one day I will know about all the children I helped have a family - even if none of those children are mine.

1 comment:

Holly said...

You have helped our family greatly! And you just never know about God's plans...they are good beyond our imaginations!
Praying now for those plans, for encouragement and for the Holy Spirit to breathe refreshment to your spirit.
ALL things are possible with Christ!
Blessings,
Holly