Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Friday 17 September 2010

On Charity

I find it really surprising about the church in general and several Christians I've met in particular. Because, generally speaking, we don't want to give. And I've heard lots of excuses as to why.

I think the one I've heard most often, and makes me most angry, is the "we can't be sure that the money is really going to those who need it". I've even heard that statement from leaders in my church and the Christian community!

Firstly, many, MANY charities tell you exactly where they spend all their money. And the regulations to be "tax-deductable" in Australia are pretty stringent - you don't get away with much there.

So the excuse itself is pretty much defunct. But wait, there's more!

We are commanded to GIVE. While we certainly are supposed to be giving to those we know will use that money wisely, we are commanded to give regardless. At the end of the day, we are not responsible if the money is not spent wisely. We need to do what God has commanded us to do, and He will take care of the details.

When I've mentioned these two points (not as sweetly as I should) I tend to get the response of, "yeah, sure" followed by doing just about nothing, or the interesting comment of "I'd rather give to a big organisation because I'd be surer that they were using my moeny wisely." Said person then continued to not give to any organisation, big or small.

Now, I don't have anything against big organisations. They are able to coordinate some really awesome life-changing projects. But in all honesty, a scam artist is far more likely to choose a big agency over a small one. More money, people are less involved in your area, so longer to cover your tracks.

That's enough of me being on my soap-box for now. Get out there are use your money to change the world!

No comments: