Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Sunday 12 September 2010

On Doing Things

There is always the danger that we may just do the work for the sake of the work. This is where the respect and the love and the devotion come in - that we do it to God, to Christ, and that's why we try to do it as beautifully as possible.
Mother Teresa

This is something I struggle with. I'm a get-things-done kinda gal. For example, once when I was home with gastro, I greeted Kallie (my housemate) at the end of the day with this statement: "I've read two books, watched three movies, and vomitted seven times!"

Seriously.

I like to get things done. I like it when something is achieved, when a goal is reached. I like to feel like progress is made.

And I have been known to put goals before relationships. I get more than slightly impatient with slow, annoying people who just can't get the things they are supposed to get done done. Don't they know I'm busy?

This is, of course the WRONG ATTITUDE. And while I do have (lots) of things to do, things that are important and that make a difference in the world and that other people are relying on me to do, the fact of the matter is that they are not the most important thing.

Jesus is.

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."
John 15:4-8.

No comments: