Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Friday 24 September 2010

A Servant's Heart

Kim C from Life In a Shoe wrote this in response to the question of what she wished she had worked harder at in her single years:
"There are many areas in which I fall short, but one in particular comes to mind: I think I was (and am) weak on the idea of service. My mom modeled a servant's heart - I don't want to impugn her example - but I was slow to pick up on the lesson, and I still have a hard time seeing the needs around me. I do my job - my own job, and expect the same of others.

If others help me, I am grateful but oh-so-slow to return the favor because I haven't learned yet to see the opportunities around me. It's not that I don't want to help, but I simply don't think to offer and can't think of what to offer."


Now, that's me. I'm usually willing to help - one year, for our church's holiday program I was roped into making crafts, editing scripts, acting with puppets, being the MC and being involved in the "after" event. And I was working and extremely sick at the time. So I'm willing to help... if I'm asked. But I don't go out of my way to find things that need doing.

It's something I need to work on - being ready to see a need and then move to meet it. The seeing has to come first, and that means taking my eyes off of myself and allowing them to see Jesus, and to see these little things as an opportunity to serve Him.

Please pray that I develope a servant's heart, and a servant's eyes!

No comments: