Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Monday 16 January 2012

2 Corinthians 2

But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere (verse 14)

Two aspects of this verse stood out to me. Firstly, that God leads us as in a Roman military triumph, showing His glory and might to all who would look upon us. We are a returning victorious army under a victorious general.

The second thing that struck me is how He spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him through us, though such unrighteous sinners as us.

Am I ready and willing to be such a vehicle for my Lord? Am I a soldier, demonstrating my general’s victory? Do I show in my own self (for I am also the battlefield) that Christ has gained the victory? Am I demonstrating to those around me that the Holy Spirit is progressively taking control of my life, giving me through Christ an ever-growing victory over the sins of my life?

Am I also spreading the fragrance of the gospel everywhere I go, or am I hiding my bright light underneath a bush? Points to ponder and pray over.

No comments: