Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Saturday 5 May 2012

Colossians 1

For this I toil, struggling with all His energy that He powerfully works within me (verse 29).

Paul toils – works hard, suffering all the while. He toils, but not in his own strength. No! He toils with the strength and energy that Christ works in him.

I am so prone to working in my own strength, to putting in immense efforts only to wear myself down with all that still remains to be done. I have much reading to do. I need to study. I need to learn Luganda. I have more funds to raise. There is oh so much that awaits my attentions and efforts, and the to-do pile rarely seems to get smaller.

But Christ! How He lifts me up when I let Him! He reminds me that there is only one important thing – loving Him – and that I do not need to worry, but just trust and let Him take care of the details. He is the one who works, in me and through me and through all the circumstances I go through. All I need to do is rest joyfully in Him.

No comments: