Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Fundraising

Those of you who read here will probably be aware that I am planning on going to Uganda in order to do missions there - particularly with children who have been affected by the HIV crisis. I went on a mission trip with COME Uganda last year in November, and this year, in June, I am going to visit Bushikori, where I have 3 sponsor children. I am really excited in general, but especially about meeting them!

Unfortunately, travelling to Africa is not exactly cheap. My church is mostly made up of international students, but they were pretty appalled by the cost, because it's a LOT more than it costs them to travel back to Singapore or Malaysia etc. With this being my second trip, money was beginning to get a bit tighter, especially as I am hoping to go again in November before looking to move there next in 2013 or 2014. While I work, I was beginning to be concerned about the costs involved, especially as I am also studying this year. I hoped that fundraising would cover enough for me to go on the November trip.

At the beginning, fundraising was really hard. I didn't raise much money, though every bit was welcome. I was working really hard to make every bit I could, mostly by making and selling paintings. A few people gave me small donations.

Last Sunday but one, one of my friends came up to me and handed me $200, from his parents, who have never met me! I was so amazed, and really thanked God for this. But God was not done!

Last Sunday, I was given a few smaller donations and two envelopes and a red packet. I assumed that all three were small donations and a letter (which is what I've mostly gotten before). But the red packet contained a letter and a cheque for... $1000 from a member of my church who wishes to be anonymous, and one of the envelopes contained $800 in cash from a young couple in my church!

I have now covered the airfare and most of the costs invovled with my trip, which means that I do not need to worry so much about being able to afford a trip in November, and can concerntrate on preparing myself to better serve the children I will be working with.

Faithful God!

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Oh, how He gives good gifts of provision! Praying for you, as you prepare to go back to Uganda again.

Renee said...

God is a wonderful provider! Thank you Lord!