Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Saturday 19 May 2012

John 4

My food is to do the will of Him who sent me and to accomplish His work (verse 34).

Doing God’s will meant more to Jesus than food. Think of how essential food is to us. We waste away and die without it – slowly and painfully. Yet Jesus preferred to do God’s will, God’s work.

How important is doing God’s work to me? It is easy to put off what God wants us to do until another day, then another day, then another and another until it remains undone. I know I have done this so many times. Little things crop up, and I take care of one and then another, and then another, and then it is too late to work on what God has set before me – too late for memorisation work or quiet time or extended prayer or even the bigger projects God has set before me, like the books He wants me to write.

I need to be willing to sacrifice everything in order to do God’s work – my plans, my goals, my dreams, to even be willing to give up necessities such as food. Because the truth is, the only thing we truly need is God. And I have that!

No comments: