Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Friday 29 March 2013

Day Seven: Tuesday 19.06.2012

Breakfast was funny! David joined us, and Anne made him take a lot of supplements to help him get over his infection. (Originally it was thought it was malaria, but it turned out to be something else – a general infection.) She made him take 8 different supplements, with him complaining the whole time, especially as he is a clinical doctor (not a full doctor, but still medically trained) and he knows that omega 3s will not actually reduce his fever. We went to the Bushikori Centre, where we met the chairman of the board. Then I went to speak to Juliana about where they wanted me to help or teach. I am teaching P4 comprehension. My class was not until after lunch, so I sat in the back of the P4 social studies class. Classes here are quite different than in Australia: no group work, lots of reciting by the whole class at once, and memorising of definitions. It need to be like that, especially in bigger classes. Imagine 200 children doing group work? Chaos! My class went quite well, though the children are all trying to imitate my accent and sound like a combination of Fran Dresher and a robot. I bribed them all with a promise of a song if they behaved for the class.
After my class was library time. P4 had the story of David vs Goal-leth for their shared book. They are mostly reading early readers for their own reading. I went even before school finished, as my ride was going. They dropped me and Esther at the Internet Café, and I sent a few emails. The internet is still slow, especially for emails, and I have some urgent ones to send, which I just keep delaying. I will go back tomorrow as well to get more done. At dinner we discussed Constantine and his effect on the church, which was really interesting. I really enjoy history! Oh, I forgot to say about our discussions with Linus at lunchtime! We told him about the weather around the world, and how in Antarctica it is dark for half the year and sunny for the other half. He was so amazed at that. Because Uganda is on the equator the days and nights are always about even. Esther told him about how in Sweden they all take a holiday for a month because it is so light until 2AM, so they all just have parties and visit each other. Linus thought that was amazing, and how that would take a lot of planning. So Esther told him about squirrels and bears and how they prepare for winter. I told him about the penguins in Antarctica, and how the boy penguins carry the eggs on their feet while the female penguins fish. Again, he thought they were the funniest things he had ever heard.

No comments: