Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Sunday 17 March 2013

Saturday26.11.11 and Sunday 27.11.11 Day I Go Home and Flight Back

I got up, finished packing, had my quiet time, and spent some time with Amaya and Abby, and gave them each a bike toy, and took a few photos. I settled down to read my book while I waited for my driver… who didn’t show. So we all went in the van – Britt, Andrew, Abby, Amaya, Lisa, Speciosa, and Vicky as well as me. I had had visions of me having to go by boda, with my suitcase tied to the end, going as fast as its wheels would go. I was very, very worried… we were running very close to the wire. I ended up being about 10 minutes late, but far from the last person. I forgot how Africa doesn’t run to the same schedule as the rest of the world. All the same, next time I’m going to leave more time for the trip.

At the airport I was worried about my bag weight. When I put the bag on the scale it said 32 kg! I was horrified – it was only 12.1 kg when I left Australia. But it turned out that another person’s bag was still on the scale. My bag was only 17.5 kg.

I got Mum the gin she wanted in customs, and changed my money into UD$.

The flight went well. I even had GF/CF food, which was fantastic. I didn’t get a bag, and was slightly sad about that. I’m planning to dye and decorate the bags I get.

Doha airport was OK. I didn’t see it on the way to Uganda. I had some food, read for a bit, and found a place with free internet. I entered a competition for Vision Forum gift certificates, then placed and order. I’ve read a lot of my books, and so I need some more.

The terribly sad thing was customs. They wouldn’t let me take Mum’s duty-free gin. They were going to confiscate it, but I talked them into letting me give it away. It took about 5 strangers until someone took it. I suppose it does look a bit dodgy. I will need to buy her a gin in Melbourne.

To avoid jet lag, I’m planning to sleep as little as possible on the flights, so I am tired when I arrive. It will be 10:30PM Australian time, but only 2:30PM Ugandan time. And I’m working the next day!

The funny thing was, I got on the plane and though, who are all these WHITE people, and what are they doing on my plane? That was the extent of my reverse culture shock. What can I say? I’m uncultured like that. No real jet lag – I worked every day the first week back. I was tired but that’s more from going to bed ridiculously late because I can’t stand not having all my luggage still packed.

Customs took my baskets, but I should get them back in 10 weeks. Fortunately they were the only things that they took. This means I had issues with 3 out of 4 customs.

I was healthier in Uganda than I usually am in Australia, which means… I can go back! Yay!

All in all, my trip went smoothly, and I have been exceedingly blessed by God as a result of it. To Him alone be the glory!

Now to plan my next trip!

No comments: