Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Sunday 3 March 2013

Saturday 12.11.11 6th full day in Uganda

It’s been a slow morning. I attempted to sleep in, and managed to stay in bed until 7AM. Then I got up, had my quiet time, ate breakfast, and went to go for a walk, but the gate was closed. So I went back, did some reading, Britt and Andrew let me use their internet, and then I went for a walk past the primary school. I saw lots more of the little stall shops, and ended up having 4 women following me for about half an hour. There wasn’t really much that I wanted to buy, so I just got some water and some biscuits for Abby and Amaya.


I ate lunch, then got ready to go out again. I had been warned about the pick-pockets in Kampala, so I used my bum bag with a decoy bag with my change and ventolin in it. Auntie Florence told me about how much a boda would cost for the trip back (6000 shillings, with it actually costing me 7000) and I set off! I caught a taxi by myself, and even got off at the right place. I wandered around the stalls, but again, there just wasn’t anything that I wanted to buy. I saw a lot of beggars, and kicked myself for not bringing food for them. I gave several of the children coins.

I went into the large supermarket in Kampala, and wandered up and down the aisles, looking for things I could eat. I ended up getting soy milk and dark chocolate. But as I was browsing, a random Indian guy who I had seen on the street a few times came and talked to me. He then asked if it was okay for him to follow me. I shrugged, meaning, it’s a free country, but if you do, I’m going to think you’re creepy. He elected to be thought creepy, and we wandered around Kampala together. His name is Happy, and he repeatedly tried to ask me out or get me to have a drink. I ignored the asking out attempts, and refused the drinks. He is on a break from studying, is 21, and is currently living in Sudan. I gave him a fake email, as he really wanted it – he also wanted both my Ugandan and Australia phone numbers! I don’t have a Ugandan, and I was NOT giving him my Aussie number! Eventually I declared that I was going, got on a boda, and came home.

That’s right! I had my first boda ride! It was so much fun! My driver was slightly crazy, but only a little bit, not like some of the different drivers. Obviously it was hilarious seeing a mzungu on a boda, because lots of people waved and shouted. I waved back, which probably wasn’t the safest while sitting on a motorbike in a skirt. One guy, who was lying on the back of a truck, even got out his mobile and videoed me. I waved to him too, and when he had finished filming he lifted the phone to his lips and kissed it. This mzungu is popular here, if not so much back home. And even better, I got inside just before it started to rain!

No comments: