Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Sunday 10 March 2013

Saturday 19.11.11 13th full day in Uganda

We had a worship seminar this morning, from 9-1. I went quite hopeful. Well, I made it until 11:30, and I was the last of the Westerners (the whole 5 of us) to leave. It was very difficult to sit through as a Westerner, because it was very negative and slightly legalistic. I also found it difficult to square the fact that the speaker considered fear to be “false expectations appearing read” and that if we remember that we will not have any fear of man. I believe that the Biblical response to a fear of man is to have a fear of God instead. In addition, it was really hard not being able to understand even a lot of the translation.

After lunch, Unia and I went shopping. Unia got pick-pocketed twice – once on the way to the shopping centre, and once on the way back, and both in the Kampala markets. I saw the end of the first one, and got her to check her bag – her phone was gone. I stopped the one on the way back – I saw a hand dip into her bag, so I grabbed it, pulled it out, said “oy, buddy,” glared, then let him go. If you make a fuss here, other people will notice, and they will chase the pick-pocket down and beat him. I didn’t want that, but I didn’t want Unia to be robbed again. I’m kind of surprised that no one touched my stuff, but they didn’t.

Anyway, while shopping, I was able to get the rest of my presents, some chocolates I can eat, a map of Africa, a book on Luganda, and a toy made by orphans of a man riding a bike. I’m a bit cross with myself for not getting another one of those and a map of Uganda, and the Luganda/English dictionary. That said, I didn’t have enough money on me to get all those things.

Aside from that, Uni came over for dinner, and she talked mostly about “Mum” (Michelle Heyward); I went online for a bit, and I read a bit more of Shirley by Charlotte Bronte. I think so far it’s my favourite of her works.

No comments: