Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Friday 1 March 2013

Thursday 10.11.11 4th full day in Uganda

The morning started off much the same as usual. I went to devotions, and I was asked to close in prayer. I was really nervous because I usually don’t pray out loud.

Devotions Group

I went to Baby School, and started off in the Baby Class, but Alice mentioned that Top Class would like to have me, so I went there. They were so much calmer than the Baby Class! It was a really amazing different. Top Class mostly sat and did their work, with little running around, hitting each other, or shouting. I was asked to sharpen pencils for a bit (probably so the teacher didn’t have to) and sharpened so many that I got a blister.

At break, Justine got out some sandpit toys. There were so many children in the sandpit that there was barely enough room for them to play with the sand. It was crazy!




At Primary School the time was pretty much as usual, though now I am working with a child by myself, instead of with Amina, instead of by myself, which I prefer, as I feel like I am being more useful.


After Primary School I went for a walk up away from the Primary School, with the aim of buying something nice to eat – a treat. I found the more Western looking supermarket, and went in, but the only sweet treats they had were biscuits. I bought a packet of chips for 500shillings, (20 cents) but there wasn’t anything else I could eat. I walked back, then walked along our road in search of something. Along the way I saw a family struggling along with two sacks of potatoes. I offered to help, and helped the oldest girl with the biggest sack, so that the younger girl and the mother (who was also carrying a baby) could carry the smaller one.

On my way back to the compound, I was approached by a man called Alex. He wanted me to sponsor him to come to Australia. I told him that it didn’t just work like that, that many of my friends come from Malaysia and Singapore and other overseas countries, and having a sponsor doesn’t automatically mean that you can stay and work in Australia. Alex is educated – he has even been to university, studying electrical engineering, but there just aren’t any jobs. He wanted an Aussie dollar, as a sign that he would make it out of Uganda one day. He kept telling me how bad it is in Uganda – there are no jobs, no opportunities. He’s sleeping on the floor of a friend’s house – and believe me, the houses around here are not great. Yet he isn’t what most people would think of when they think of the poor – he really is an intelligent, educated guy. His English is great (most people here speak English, but like Singlish, it isn’t always that English). But he’s stuck not able to move on with his life.

Back at the compound, I had dinner, and then Britt and Andrew said I could use their internet. I think I was on there for about 2 ½ hours. I had tons of emails, and it seemed that every person whose blog I read had updated multiple time in the past 3 days (one person had done about 10 new posts!). So I’m actually still up, even though it’s nearly 10.

Frank and Michelle’s dog, Simba, is sick. Frank and Michelle have gone to Australia to fund-raise, and Unia (their foster-daughter) stays at their house. She is a big animal fan, and she was distraught today. Doreen, the child protection officer, told her to get over it, it’s just a dog. Unia cried more and more. Britt and Andrew bought her some chocolate to comfort her – and I now know a store that sells Western food (and therefore, hopefully something GF/DF). I will go tomorrow lunchtime! Unia came over, Britt went to take a baby to the medical clinic, and Andrew, Unia and I prayed for Simba.

No comments: