Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Saturday 16 March 2013

Friday 25.11.11 19th full day in Uganda

I gave the children the bikes – they were very excited about them! Then the two classes performed for each other, and the waiting class all fought for the privilege of sitting next to me or playing with my watch or counting my fingers.


I at the teacher’s lunch again – I was hoping to try posho, which is apparently pretty bad – but it was rice and beans. Chantelle is making matoke for me for dinner as it is my last night.

After lunch I was to help Lisa with setting up for the LOT fashion shoe and end of year part. But by the time I got there (2PM) everything was set up, so I got to assist the models. Britt had a towel for them to wipe themselves when they got sweaty, but I thought that was gross, so I got out my face wipes. They thought they were awesome, and ended up wiping not only the sweat off their faces but their hands (grubby), arms (not too bad) and legs (more than just grubby). The ten (I think) models used over 35 face wipes, and only stopped because my second pack and all my individual ones had run out. I had more in my suitcase, but 3-4 wipes is enough for even the grubbiest teenager.

The fashion show went really well. I was filming it, so I couldn’t pay as much attention to the clothes as I otherwise would have. But they were pretty cool. Second charity fashion show I’ve been to (the first was Vigerella, for Short Statured People) and I’ll probably buy some of the clothes, which are currently being sold in Australia.

The one bad thing about the fashion show was my filming! I did such a good job, and was so proud of myself, and then found out that Lisa wanted it all in horizontal, and I’d filmed vertically! I was so apologetic – I felt terrible.

After dinner, I was planning on going to the prayer meeting, but ended up talking with Britt and Lisa.

Lisa’s “daughter” Speciosa has finished school for the year and is staying with Lisa for all of the holidays that Lisa is in Uganda, and the rest of the time with her Jaja (grandma). Chantelle’s niece, Victoria, is also staying with them as her father and Chantelle are going to the DRC. Vicky is about the same age as Amaya, so the 3 girls are having a play-date tomorrow at Garden City while Lisa and Britt have coffee.

My ride has been arranged, my bags are packed. I’m sad to be going home, but glad to have the opportunity to eat cookies again. I’ve missed things like cookies and cakes so much, and pasta. That’s the one thing I haven’t enjoyed about Uganda: lack of GF/CF food.

Britt gave Vicky a pack of undies, and I gave her one of the mosquito nets that Mum gave me (she got 6 at the Anaconda closing down sale, and I already had one – though I only took 3 with me). Some of her clothes we threw out because they were falling apart. Lisa is going to buy more clothes for her at Garden City.

Today was one of the 2 days (the other being yesterday) where I actually wore in Uganda the hiking boots Mum got me – and big Elijah tole Teacher Justine that I wore men’s shoes. I thought that was pretty funny, but I did clarify that my shoes are in fact girls shoes. Here the shoe of choice is thongs, but I mostly wear ballet flats.

No comments: