Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Thursday 7 March 2013

Wednesday 16.11.11 10th full day in Uganda

I lead devotions today, which was a bit nerve-racking. The topic is self-control, and I read from James 3:2-12, or on the control of our tongues – which is something I know I need to do a whole lot more work on.

Alice was absent today, because her baby, Precious, was sick, so I spent most of the day with Baby Class. Elijah was sick and resting on a mattress when I came in. Britt was the one who noticed, and Lisa got the mattress. Soon I noticed that another child, Francis, was sick too, so he went to sleep next to Elijah. Both had fevers, coughs, and were lethargic. By the end of class, several other children were looking sick, and one girl had fallen asleep in the middle of music class.

After eating some lunch, Britt, Lisa, Amaya, Abby and I went out to “Garden City”, which is a shopping centre. I bought most of the presents that I wanted to buy (only Dad, Kal and Stephen left) and I got another book on Luganda. I missed primary school, but that is ok.

Some other funny things that happened at Nursery school. Teacher Aidah told off the children for counting beyond ten. “No! No! We are Baby Class! We only count to 10!” then “corrected their pronunciation of elephant to el-phant, and finally, the funniest one:

Everyone here is terrified of caterpillars. So for show and tell, Aidah told the children how she came to work, saw a giant caterpillar, screamed, then killed it with a stick. They then needed to draw a whole lot of caterpillars – a big “Mummy” caterpillar and lots of baby caterpillars. I went up to her and quietly told her that caterpillars ARE babies, that the mummies are butterflies. Aidah looked at me like I was crazy. So I explained the entire life cycle. Aidah then told me very carefully, that caterpillars produce young caterpillars. I re-explained the caterpillar facts of life. She asked me if I was sure. I told her I was. “Well,” she said, “We will not tell the children. They are too little to understand.”
Funny!

Teacher Alice reads to the children:

No comments: