Mission Statement

In classical sacrifices, the people get the good bits, and the gods get the refuse, the bits that would get thrown out otherwise.

Not our God. Leviticus (particularly Leviticus 3) describes the sacrifices that our LORD demanded from His people of Israel. God gets the kidneys, the tail, and all the fat. He gets the prime steak, He gets the best.

Today we do not literally give sacrifices of animals. For us the ultimate sacrifice has been made through our Lord, Christ Jesus. But should always be our ambition to do the same thing - to offer God the best of what we have, to offer Him the fat, and not the smoke and bones.

Friday 8 March 2013

Thursday 17.11.11 11th full day in Uganda

Britt and Andrew slept in, and the generator had gone out, and eventually Lisa came over to wake them up. With the generator on, I needed a cup of tea, so I had one, and ran late for devotions.

I spent the 1st part of the morning in Baby Class, and the 2nd part in Top Class. Top Class were practising for the Christmas concert. One of the songs was, “Life is full of temptations, I am just a buyer-bus, and when I leave my mother’s home, I will go to heaven.” I asked what a buyer-bus was, and in spite of a lengthy explanation, I still have no idea. The other song was the 12 days of Christmas. I was able to tell them the story behind the song, how all the things symbolise something about Christianity, and they used the song to secretly instruct their children in the faith during times of persecution in Ireland.









I ate chips for lunch, and the girls had to take their weekly malaria tablet. Getting Abby to eat was pretty impossible. I bribed her with chips, which was moderately successful.

At Primary School I spent most of my time talking with Amina. She is going through a tough time now – her brother is out of work, so she is supporting his family as well as her own. Her grandmother, who brought her up, has also been in hospital, and she’s the only one out of the 4 grandchildren with a job, so she had to pay the hospital bill. It’s the 17th, and they’ve already spent all but a few shillings of their money for the month.

For dinner we had matoke, which is a type of mashed banana, with stew and rice. The matoke was funny if you thought of it as banana – it’s savoury, not sweet. It was very filling, and very nice with the stew. It’s my favourite meal so far! After dinner, I tried to watch Soul Surfer, but it had been dubbed over REALLY badly in Luganda. As it, they kept pausing the movie to describe the scenery, the words, and even the LOGOS in Luganda. I managed to watch about 3 minutes. I’m leaving it here so that Britt and Andrew can use it to try and pick up some Luganda.

No comments: